Thursday 21 June 2012

Day 228: Running Time

An afternoon trip to the cinema with Jude.  It's the Everyman in Belsize Park, which is one of those excellent art cinemas that has just one screen and big, squashy sofa seats.  We are the only customers - surprising, but only slightly, as I recognise that most people have sensible things to do on a Wednesday afternoon. 

We make the most of exclusive patronage by running oppositional laps of the cinema, passing with high fives right in front of the screen (obviously).  It's something I've often been tempted to do, but I've stopped myself, out of respect for other cinema-goers. 

I've had those urges before.  At school during assembly I fought a constant internal battle against the overwhelming desire to suddenly stand up, shout 'Bollocks!' and sit back down again. For no contextual reason. I didn't have a particular problem with assembly. I just really wanted to know what it would feel like.  I am delighted to know how it feels to run full pelt round a cinema (disproportionately enjoyable).

Wouldn't have been so much fun if I'd just run on my own.  You need to have a partner in crime (thank you, Jude).  One evening at the Edinburgh Fringe I suddenly developed an urge to skip.  I said as much, and Jana immediately said 'Let's do it!'  So we speed-skipped - all the way along the Cow Barn and into Bristo Square.  For no reason.  Like when cows suddenly gallop round fields.  Just because they can.  It was strangely exhilarating.

The film was interesting and enjoyable.  But it didn't come close to running laps round the cinema.           

No comments:

Post a Comment