Tuesday 12 June 2012

Day 219: Cake Strategy

Through the rain to Foyles on Charing Cross Road.  A meeting over coffee and carrot cake.  'Please, you must all tuck in.  Frankly, I'm only interested in the icing', says Ivo, nonchalantly backing up his claim with some focused spoon work.  (I should point out that Ivo is not a ten-year-old on exeat, but a very influential middle-aged man.)

It is my cultural heritage to believe that you are required to plough through the carrot cake, however dry it is, to get to the icing.  With any plate of food, I will eat the thing that I least like first, to get it out of the way.  And save the best bit for last.  It has never OCCURRED to me that I could just skip directly to the good stuff. 

Interesting.  I could have saved myself a lot of unpleasant mouthfuls.  Literally and metaphorically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment