Wednesday 6 June 2012

Day 210: Travelling Without Moving

When I was small we never went anywhere on a Bank Holiday weekend.  'Traffic' said my father, with dark emphasis and finality.  I always wondered why everyone else managed to travel and survive, when apparently it would be impossible for us.

The carrot
On occasion I would get bucket and spade out, and position them provocatively in the hall.  Hoping that Dad would be so transported by the thought of constructing a technically accurate motte-and-bailey in sand, that he would relent (he never did).

The stick
Today I have a taste of the 'traffic' my father dreaded.  A two-and-half hour journey takes five-and-a-half hours.  It's less physical (much of the time I'm stationary); more mental (shock, denial, anger, service station sweets).  By the time I roll into the camping field, I'm mute with acceptance and sugar.  I cannot quite believe I have managed to make it. 

Here there are tents, and people bimbling about, and a tree-trunk of pork on a spit that needs to be turned.  This is a job for me.  I am in control of the spit.  It continues to move.  There are no hold-ups, accidents or dangerous manoeuvres.  The horror of the M3 starts to fade away, as I keep turning.         

Travelling without moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment