Tuesday 19 June 2012

Day 227: Free Kicks

At Moorgate this morning I am handed some free toothpaste.  It's nothing personal.  Not like giving deodorant to the office stinker.  It's a promo thing - and it's decent toothpaste.  Sensodyne.  Which is expensive (I know this as I am a martyr to neuralgia).  Morning win. 

At Farringdon this lunchtime I am handed some free Coke Zero.  It's nothing personal.  Not like giving low-cal products to the office fatty.  It's a promo thing.  And I was hot and thirsty, and the can was ice-cold.  Lunchtime win. 

Afternoon spent with Jude in Exmouth Market.  I tell her about my wins, and we remember a day back in December when she managed to score free chocolate cake in Highgate Woods and then free holly on Hampstead Heath (see Day 48).  Today's freebies are nowhere near as free range and unexpected - level one to her level three - but still gratefully received. 

On the way home, I realise that I am travelling at peak time.  So I will need to pay an excess fare on my ticket.  Annoying.  I get to the barrier at St Albans station:-

Me:  'Can I pay for a peak extension on my ticket, please?'

Ticket inspector:  'No.'

Me:  'Oh.  Why not?'

Ticket inspector:  'Just because.'

And with that, he lets me through the barrier.  This is not a promo.  This is a massive, confusing, unexpected, free range and BRILLIANT evening win.  I can see level three.  I can almost touch it.  Huzzah.     

No comments:

Post a Comment