Wednesday 13 June 2012

Day 220: First Law of Freelancing

Driven by lack of vitamin D to book a holiday.  Feels shocking to cancel work - given that the next few months are looking pretty scanty.  But also very liberating. 

It is only a matter of hours after making the booking that work offers start coming in.  For the period I will be away.  This makes me laugh because it is so reassuringly in line with the cosmic order of things - that the minute you make yourself unavailable, you will be inundated with offers. 

This is the first law of freelancing.  Irritating, but also good.  It seems to stir things up, and keep things moving.  You don't need to book a holiday - you just need some alternative focus of energy.  Years ago, before I fully understood this law, I experienced a really bad work drought.  It had me on my knees, weeping into the carpet.  Evenutally I got cramp/bored, and decided to paint the kitchen.  I think I was on my second brush stroke when the phone rang, offering me a job that covered my living expenses for the year. 

Involve the brush
The key element is that you cannot fake it, by sneaking past the action to the pay-off.  Just THINKING about painting the kitchen, with your eye on the primary gain of breaking your deadlock, will not work.  You have to fully commit to and focus on your new activity.  Buy the paint.  Put the overalls on.  Start.  Then and only then will the magic happen. 

Not needed
I don't understand why this works.  It must be something to do with energy and positive action.  Undoubtedly Prof Brian Cox could explain it in quantum mechanical terms, but I think it's more important just to know that it DOES work.

Seen it happen time after time.  For me and for others.

I recommend it.  At the very least, you'll get a better-looking kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment