Friday 1 June 2012

Day 208: Union Jack-Off

This morning my run takes me past the little primary school behind St Michael's church.  Jubilee has come early.  Red, white and blue abounds - on faces, hats, and trays of luridly-iced fairy cakes.  A small girl is having trouble with her fascinator - a frankly camp Union Jack mini top hat, rakishly attached to a hairband. 

Small girl (weeping):  Nooo!  It's not RIGHT.  I can't go in 'til it's on right!

Mum (quietly desperate):  Darling, I really HAVE to go to work...

Daughter wins; Mum loses (fascinator 1; corporate duty 0).

Random knitting nan
This afternoon, I see a group of nans all wearing knitted rosettes.  Massive floppy cabbages of wool (red, white and blue - obvs) pinned to lapels.  I wonder whether they are being gladly worn, or whether one nan (the one who knits, but shouldn't) has imposed her work on all the others (suspect the latter).  I like the rosettes.  Handmade, slightly wrong-looking, and defiantly original. 

Small girl loses; knitting nan wins (fascinator 0; wool cabbage 1).  Pecking order restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment