Tuesday 23 October 2012

Day 336: Return To Crumble

Pale and wan
I am having Tarte Tatin issues. These issues are interlinked, and have a knock-on effect.  The first is the colour of my pan.  It is black, so it's very hard to see when the caramel is the right colour.  Cowardice means that it's not quite as brown as it should be.  (I am not the only one with caramel issues - see right.  This is the pallid chap that appears on the BBC recipe website.)  The second is the apples.  Once they are introduced to heat (necessary), they make so much juice that they dilute the already slightly feeble caramel.  Too much liquid means that the pastry is likely to go soggy. 


Bronzed god
This recipe is apparently based on the happy results of a salvaged accident - apples overcooked and sticking to the pan, and then pastry shovelled unceremoniously on top without much hope.  Given that this is its provenance, I really don't think it should be quite so exacting and moody. 

I shall make one more attempt.  In which I will try to channel the slatternly approach of the Tatin sisters.  I think it may be one of those less-control-better-results situations.

If there is no improvement, I shall return to crumble.  The kindest of all puddings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment