Saturday 13 October 2012

Day 327: No Lady Boots



Double violation
For some weeks now my boots have been giving me notice of their intention to resign.  Stitching going, insides breaking up, structure collapsing.  I've worn them hard for three years, so I'm not outraged.  But now I need to think about recruiting replacements.  I've kept an eye out - nothing has caught it.  I am specific in my boot requirements.  There are two rules.  Firstly - they must be flat. Secondly - they must not be fitted at the ankle.  (Essentially, I am not interested in anything resembling a lady boot.  I want something that looks like it might have come from an historical costume drama.)  

At the moment, it's easy to find something that fits the first rule, but not the second.  There are a lot of ankle-fitters in the shops.  I do not like an ankle-fitter.  Probably because my German teacher at school used to have a pair which made her feet look like massive bananas. 

Today I wander aimlessly into a new and tiny shoe shop that I've not been into before.  Limited stock - and all the boots do not comply with rule two.  As I'm about to leave, the woman behind the till asks what I am looking for.  At this point, if she'd asked (as is normal) whether I'd like any help, I'd have said no.  But given that she asked me specifically, I tell her.  Pretty much exactly as in the first paragraph (but without the lady boot diss).  She disappears out to the back of the shop and comes back with the boots I would have made for myself, were I a cobbler.  Sold. 

Know what you want.  Be specific.  Put it out there.   

No comments:

Post a Comment