Friday 19 October 2012

Day 333: Gatekeeper or Bookkeeper?

The woman sitting opposite me on the train has exactly the same laptop bag as me.  Mine is stashed on the left in the gap between the seats.  Hers is on the right.  In a film, this would obviously herald a bag mix-up, leading to horrific, adrenalin-fuelled, or hilarious consequences, depending on genre.  In real life, a mix-up, although possible, is not probable.  And if it were to happen, the consequences would be panic, followed by inconvenience.  Leading to resolution (if lucky) or additional expense (new laptop) and more inconvenience (trip to PC World, plus cautionary resetting of all passwords).  Not a plot that's likely to get the studio green light.   

The mix-up does not happen.  We both pick up our respective bags and go our separate ways.  Most days I see a jump-off point for a film.  Frequently I convince myself that the filmic possibilities will become reality.  Last week there was a woman in front of me on the escalator.  I had two jobs that day in different bits of London.  I saw the same woman TWICE more.  In different locations.  London's a big place.  This was freaky.  And totally random.  But I didn't want it to be.  With massive human self-importance, I wanted it to have meaning.  I wanted the woman to have a message for me.  To be the recruiter for an undercover agency.  Or to be the gatekeeper to a different world.  Not to be an admin assistant from Hertfordshire who happened to be in the same place as me, three times in one day. 

Perhaps this is all a test of initiative, and she actually IS the gatekeeper.  And it's down to me to make the next move.  If I see her again, I'm going to ask her.

Me: Are you the gatekeeper?

Woman: You have passed the test.  I am Meldraga.  We have been waiting for you to face your destiny.  It will not be easy, but the Key of Truth and the Sandals of Speed will help you through the perils that lie ahead.  Beware of the   No.  I'm the bookkeeper.

Maybe I won't ask.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment