Friday 5 October 2012

Day 318: Over The Limit

The Wing (do not want to see The Bird) 
Today takes me to Silverstone.  I've got a job for a big old luxury car firm - hence the location.  Silverstone has its own private road system, linking all the circuits, stands and hospitality suites.  The place is built on a massive scale - it's a good five minute drive from the entrance to The Wing, where I need to be.  I drive past helipads - there are traffic lights to stop you if a helicopter is landing, bearing Alonso or Schumacher (or Clarkson...).  And a bridge that goes over the track.  I see F1 cars doing laps, and then sports bikes.  It's quite exciting in a detached, toe-dipping way.  It's not a world I know in the slightest.  The closest I've got before this was watching the film 'Senna'. 

Everywhere there are 20mph speed limit signs, and everywhere there are boiler-suited lads in hot hatches flagrantly ignoring them.  If you've landed your dream job working at Silverstone, I doubt you'll be interested in driving slowly...   

Gambon
It's an appropriate location for October - a speedy month.  As the trees turn colour, and the conkers appear, I feel like I should be slowing down, contemplating, kicking leaves.  Driving at 20.  Instead, I find myself, pedal to the metal, gritting my teeth and hanging on, knowing that there will be a few 'Gambon' corners to take before the lull of December.  Strap in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment