Friday 28 September 2012

Day 312: Damage Limitation

Today I am on Portland Place.  The Falun Gong man sits on his mat as the traffic rushes past, silently protesting against suppression by the Chinese authorities.  I sign his petition, before entering the still and spacious halls of the Royal Institute of British Architecture.  I am in the Aston Webb room, which is Grade II listed Art Deco.  Leather walls, pale Indian Maple woodwork, and large glass lightshades like shallow, suspended fruit bowls.  It is complete and perfectly preserved.  There is a small notice asking you not to do anything that might damage the surfaces.  Fair enough.  I comply without question. 

Dangerous
This in contrast to large investment bank in Canary Wharf, whose rules include a ban on sticking anything to the windows with Blu-tack because, apparently, Blu-tack 'stains glass'.

I've had a fair bit of experience with Blu-tack, and I do not believe it poses a staining threat to glass.  I think that the bank in question is extremely controlling, rigid and untrusting. 

Glad I signed that petition.  (Don't panic, it's not a swastika.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment