Monday 24 September 2012

Day 307: Incampetent

Down to Dorset for a go-kart challenge.  It's with the same group of people that I met back in June - the alpha campers, who knock up elderflower fritters from scratch on a campfire, whilst weaving hammocks and strumming guitars.  Which means that the go-kart challenge is hippyish but SERIOUS.  The Healing Fields meets Robot Wars. 

Broom, flags, epic view
One team have made an exact replica of the Flintstone's car.  Another team have welded the front of a bicycle onto a wheelchair, and have installed a sound system with speakers, playing Mexican music.  I am crew for my friend's kart - a garden trolley which we hastily pimp into a Plantagenet war cart, trimmed with swags of yellow broom, and the replicas of the flags that Henry V flew at Agincourt.  Given the lack of effort (no welding or crafting) it looks pretty decent.  It cannot compare, however, with my favourite - The Black Rooster. 

Black Rooster swoops
Three stages of the competition - beauty parade, straight downhill time trial, and a slalom course (speed and accuracy marked).  The Planatagenet war cart is not built for speed, but is sturdy and reliable, and the flags look ace.  Overall we come fourth out of nine - far more respectable than we could have hoped. 

Back to the camp.  As I'm changing out of my war cart costume, I overhear this:-

'Yes - I'm doing bread.  I've got the dough rising on the front seat of the van.  I'm going to make some butter and jam as well.'

I'm not altogether surprised by the first bit, but I think I've misheard the second.  I haven't.  Butter is churned (seriously).  Jam is made.  From foraged blackberries.  Obviously. 

Fourth in the go-karts.  Definitely last in the campetency stakes.  Pot Noodle, anyone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment