Monday 3 September 2012

Day 286: Racing Myself

A morning run accompanied by my personal GPS system.  I haven't yet worked out how to pause it, so as a result there are no breaks for stretching (aka catching your breath), as my dormant competitive* side is not prepared to see my pace per mile take the hit.  Back home I cannot speak and have to lie on the floor to recover.  For this I like to be in the doorway between the kitchen and dining room.  The kitchen is two steps down, so I can have my knees bent and my feet on the kitchen floor with the rest of my body in the dining room.  For some reason this is very comfortable, and feels correct. 

* I do not seek competition.  But I will rise to the occasion.  For instance, when I am at the gym, and someone decides - amongst a bank of empty treadmills** - to use the treadmill next to me.  Sometimes there's an obvious reasons for this - like a better view of the television.  Or you can sense that this is just their preferred, auto-pilot choice of treadmill.  But every so often, you get someone who's checking out your pace, and then deciding to make their treadmill just that little bit faster.  Gauntlet down!  In this situation, I am merciless.  I will (even at cost to my own personal injury) raise the stakes, and keep raising them. 

** This behaviour is only triggered in these situations.  If the gym is full, and someone uses the treadmill next to me because it's available, I have no issues with whatever speed they choose to run.  It's when it's a DELIBERATE challenge.  Utterly ridiculous.  But slyly enjoyable. 

Now the GPS system is throwing my own shit back at me.  Serves me right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment