Tuesday 11 September 2012

Day 295: Nuts in a Mutton

A day spent in a letterpress studio in rural Essex.  This is a complete indulgence.  I've always wanted to have a go. 

Trays and trays of beautiful old type.  Wood block, metal.  Black iron handpresses, solid but beautifully decorated with mermaids and eagles.  Inky smells.  Archaic language - I learn how many nuts there are in a mutton*.  Everything is painstakingly done by hand, and packed into a chase (frame) with coins (expanding braces) that hold the letters secure.  Ink mixed on glass, and rollered on.  Image pressed. 

Eight hours melt away.  I am not thirsty.  I do not go to the loo.  I am utterly focused.  I end up with this (see right).  The letter blocks are antique.  I like the fact that there is a big notch bitten out of the 'O' in HEROIC.  I like the patchy contact with some of the ink.  The 'T' of ACTION refuses to print initially.  I have to raise it by sticking some masking tape on the back, and hand-buffing the contact after pressing. 

I arrive home proudly bearing my print, like a child from nursery school, tired but pleased.  Of course, it's not exactly as I want it.  Letterpress rarely is.  That's how it hooks you in...  The tantalising charm of almost.   

1 comment: