Monday 27 August 2012

Day 279: Hot Tea Dance

This morning I set off to get a newspaper.  As I leave the house, the sky is dark, and there is a fine mist of rain on the wind.  So I pop back for a plastic bag to protect the paper in transit.  Weirdly, I do not choose to pick up an umbrella or a raincoat.  Half-way to the shop, a rude amount of rain comes down.  Hard. 

But I have a bag for the paper.  So it is snuggly and warm and dry.  As I could be if I'd picked up an umbrella/raincoat.  But at least I am waterproof.  I will not turn into papier mache (cannot be bothered to seek accents - insert them for yourself).  Even without consciously weighing things up, you make a calculated choice.  If someone passes you a mug of tea, and you take it by the body, not by the handle, and it's red hot - you will not drop it like the proverbial hot potato.  You will shout and swear until you find a flat surface.  Then and only then will you let go and dance around in pain.  Mind over matter.  You will endure the discomfort because the alternative involves a broken mug, tea everywhere (possibly on your lap top), and more widespread scalding. 

So - I made a subconsciously calculated choice.  But it was a bad one, because I failed to consider that I am still wearing my glasses (too early in the day to contemplate contact lenses) and I cannot see a thing. It's like driving with no windscreen wipers.  Nearly get taken out by a car as I cross the road. 

Lucky.  Could have been a broken mug.  Tea everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment