Thursday 23 August 2012

Day 276: Maximum Nonsense

As the Edinburgh Fringe judders into the final weekend, the Fosters comedy award nominees are revealed.  This year I've been backing Tony Law to win the main award, so very pleased to see that he's in the running.  It just feels like the right time for him.  Although also very pleased to see James Acaster in the list.  I did a gig with him a couple of months ago, and thought his new material was excellent. 

This time last year, I remember seeing one of the nominees in the performer's bar at the Pleasance.  He was laughing, drinking champagne, and surrounded by people.  As I left the bar, I passed another performer.  The year before there'd been a real buzz about him, and his star was definitely in the ascendant.  But his follow-up solo show had failed to impress, and had been roundly panned in reviews.  He looked broken.  Two sides of the same coin. 

Edinburgh is a fickle bitch.  I hope the nominees are allowing themselves to enjoy the moment, without skipping ahead to thinking about winning, or next year etc.  For any comedian at the Fringe, to be on those lists right now is as good as it gets.  Anybody who tells you different is lying.  And the coin can flip all too quickly. 

I know of a few who have been broken this year.  I wish them a swift recovery. 

And best of luck to my horse.  Go, Mr Tony Go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment