Sunday 19 August 2012

Day 271: Not a Number - A Free Man

This morning I go to Starbucks.  Not for their coffee, which I don't particularly like, but for their power sockets, which I do.  I'm on a back-up laptop, which wheezes and rattles like a lawn mower.  The battery is on its last legs, and won't hold a charge so I need to be close to the source (man).  I order a drink (to justify power usage).  Then this happens:- 

Barista: 'Can I take your name, please?'

Me: 'No.  No, you can't.  You can take a number.  Ten.'

Barista:  'Ten?'

Me:  'Yes.  Call me Ten.'

I have no idea why I do this.  It just splurts out.  I know they have to ask.  But it is early in the morning and it takes me by surprise, and I instinctively baulk.   

We are not friends. 
Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?
Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.

  
Yes.  And sometimes you prefer to remain anonymous.     



No comments:

Post a Comment