Friday 24 August 2012

Day 278: Spiritual Level

I have just bought one of these.  It is massive and ugly as hell, but it has GPS!  I can now track my run distances via satellite!  I will never get lost again. 

When I visited the Lost Gardens of Heligan earlier this year, I was given a tiny plastic compass on entry.  The leaflet has some friendly blurb along the lines of  'although the gardens are lost, you don't have to be.'  Unsurprisingly, the compass is very rudimentary.  Without a spirit level to keep it on the straight and narrow, north becomes a  distinctly movable feast.  I rarely travel with a spirit level, so the compass is nice but ultimately useless.

I have another more robust compass.  It does have an in-built spirit level and cross-hairs.  It's in a folding metal case, and it saved my bacon when I foolishly trusted a walk route that I found on the internet.  But it's pretty hefty.  Not about to run around carrying this. 

So - I bought this ugly bug.  It looks like I've been electonically tagged.  But it is a powerhouse of information.  How fast I'm going.  How far I've gone.  My heart rate.  But best of all, it will direct me home if I ever get lost. 

Very happy to have this.  On a spirit level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment