Friday 16 November 2012

Day 359: Michael Hutchence - Who He?

Today I realise quite how young my group are.  We are talking about those MTV-style interviews, where presenter and celeb are disingenuously lolling around on a bed, because they are all casual and hip.  I mentioned the precursor to these - Michael Hutchence being interviewed by predatory Paula Yates on The Big Breakfast.  I am greeted with blank looks from all present.  'I don't know who either of those people are' explains one. 

The infamous interview I refer to (Paula approaching flirtation like a lumberjack closing in on a tree) happened in 1994.  Eighteen years ago.  When the suited and booted group in front of me were four or five, and probably hooked on Teletubbies.  Weird. 

I'm still surprised, though.  In my early twenties I knew about people like Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix - even though they were dead before my time.  We lived in a smaller, slower world.

Today we value instancy and disposability.  In our photos.  Our food.  And also our cultural figures.    

"There must be some kind of way out of here,"
Said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion,
I can't get no relief.


Ah, Jimi.  Dead for over forty years, but still relevant*.  If only the kids knew who you were, dude. 

(* I know, I know - technically Bob's song, but spiritually/musically owned by Jimi). 

No comments:

Post a Comment