Friday 9 November 2012

Day 354: The Metaphor Continues

Today my laptop dies again. I am with a new client - groovy canal-side warehouse offices, pool tables and street clothes, but an underlying sense of control-freakery and tension.  The woman doing the organising panics.  A lugubrious IT man is summoned.  He calls it, and pronounces time of death.  And does not disguise the pleasure this brings him.     

I get home, and do the 'fix' suggested to me last week by the man at PC World.  The laptop turns back on.  All is fine.  I believe in the power and the glory of 'static build up'.  Amen.

Then it goes again.  I have not rubbed the laptop with a balloon, or carried it whilst shuffling around on a nylon carpet.  I'm not even touching it.   

I have lost faith in the power of the 'fix'.  I should have known, as the clue is in the name.  It is just that - a 'fix'.  A short term answer to a far bigger problem.  The temporary relief allows you to kid yourself that everything is sorted.  It isn't.  And the 'fix' is needed on an increasingly regular basis.  What was intermittent now becomes weekly.  Daily.  Hourly. 

Back to PC World.  This time I want a replacement.  Or a radical repair.  I do not want another 'fix'.  I've got junk, but I'm not a junkie.  As The Killers might say. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment