Thursday 8 November 2012

Day 352: Limelight


Foolish young lime
I have lost a lime.  I know I bought one, because I remember weighing it, and putting it in my bag.  Maybe it made a bid for escape on the way to the car.  Maybe I'm turning into a 'character' and I've put it somewhere ridiculous (fridge/under my pillow/sock drawer).  The issue is that I am in the middle of making a Thai green curry.  Limelessness is not an option. 

Experienced lime
In the fridge, I find the ancient corpse of a long-dead lime buried deep in the silt of the salad crisper.  Exhumed, it is an ugly sight.  Dull and leathery skin spotted with pestilent buboes.  I cut it and lick the surface cautiously (as all great chefs do).  The Spirit of The Lime remains!  I squeeze it quickly, before it has a chance to pass to the other side. 

Time Lime Team
A lime bought back from the brink.  A last chance.  A starring role. 

I cannot tell you how much joy this brings me.  Later I find the errant younger lime rolling around in the boot of the car.  I have placed it carefully in the salad crisper, where it can become older and wiser. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment