Tuesday 8 May 2012

Day 184: Mouth Filth

For some time now I have been aware of the existence of wasabi chocolate.  I have circled it suspiciously in the supermarket.  I like wasabi.  I like chocolate.  But I don't entirely trust the combination.

I thought I would like chilli chocolate.  But I don't.  I think it is less than the sum of its parts.  The chilli makes the chocolate taste dingy, and the chocolate makes the chilli cardboardy.  Weird. 

I knew I would love salt chocolate.  And I do.  The salt simply makes the chocolate taste more chocolatey.  Surprising and brilliant. 

So I tried the wasabi today.  Not underwhelming, like the chilli chocolate.  Just WRONG.  Lovely peppery horseradish turns to bitter earth against the sweetness, with a sickly, stagnant pond aftertaste.  Both chocolate and wasabi lose in this battle.  No winners. 

One of the rare times I have actually spat chocolate out. 

Think it's relational.  A matter of with or against.  Chocolate and salt.  As opposed to chocolate versus wasabi.   

No comments:

Post a Comment