Thursday 19 April 2012

Day 166: A Friend In Need

A panicky message from a very stressed friend leads to a rescue mission.  On his way to an all day job, he's shocked to realise that the content for the final session of the afternoon has been completely redesigned, and he has no time to prepare it.  I hear the utter lack of hope in his voice, as he asks in desperation whether I'm free and willing to come and run it for him.  Happily I am.  He is transformed - I've never heard anyone sound so grateful.  I leave the house wearing a cloak and pants over my tights (metaphorically - this client wouldn't consider that to be 'business dress').

On my way into London I realise that, in accepting this job, I cross a volume threshold that means this particular client will pay me at a higher rate for all the work I do for them next month. 

It is rare that you get the opportunity to help a friend, and the reward goes beyond feel good to hard cash.  I'd have done it for the first alone, but I'm not going to turn my nose up at the second.

No comments:

Post a Comment