Friday 13 April 2012

Day 161: High-def Idiot Savant

I need a camcorder.  Work purposes.  Spend some time this morning looking at techie comparison websites.  Soon I am overwhelmed with conflicting gadget reviews.  Give up and drive to PC World, where I am distinctly NOT overwhelmed.  There is one HD camcorder.  Literally.  The display model.  I am slightly nonplussed by the lack of choice/stock, but buy it (at negotiated discount).  Get it back home, and look at reviews online.  Accidentally I have bought a truly excellent camera.  And for £90 less than on Amazon.  I am an idiot savant.

Go to Boots to get a duplicate of a photo.  I've not been near a photo developing area for many years.  Digital camera and inherent sloth mean that all my photos are hidden on a hard drive, languishing in forgotten files.  Boots has gone all high-tech, and DIY.  There are customer nodes, which will accept your various media, and allow you to edit and resize at will.  Amazing.  You still have to go away for an hour, and then come back and collect your photos from a real person (a wait AND human interaction - unreasonable in 2012). 

I return at the given time, and the assistant selects a packet.  She opens it so I can check that it's mine.  There's only one photo (see left). 

She looks at me.  I look back.  I nod.  Nothing is said.  Exit.

That camcorder's landed on its feet with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment