Monday 9 April 2012

Day 152: The Greatest Love of Small

Today I pay a flying visit to my home town.  It feels as if it has shrunk since I was a teenager.  Like the crisp bags I used to miniaturise in the oven at a low temperature.  Quavers for goblins.  KP Skips for elves. 

I was a fan of small.  Babybel used to be a medium-sized cheese that you cut into wedges.  Then mini versions arrived.  Still the same bland, slightly sour, milky rubber.  Horrible.  But small!  And therefore unbearably exciting. 

In the same vein, I used to like those mini-Hovis rolls.  The ones shaped like a tiny loaf.  I didn't particularly like the flavour - wholemeal is the driest and foulest of all breads - but that was insignificant next to the incalculable delight of cutting tiny slices, and making stupidly small sandwiches.  Inevitably filled with pointless Babybel.  Hooray.

It's quite a relief that Heroes and Celebrations weren't around when I was growing up.  I know that I'd have been an avid fan (MINIATURES!), and would have wolfed them down.  Iced Gems were far safer - off-puttingly sweet icing, hard as plaster, on top of a dubiously hamsterish biscuit.  Three or four and you'd have to stop, with a mouth as dried out as the Gobi. 

Just as well there was an inherent deterrent.  Because my love of small did not extend to portion control...

Not then.  Not now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment