Wednesday 11 April 2012

Day 159: Ten of Clubs

A walk in the woods.  Nobody about.  As always, in this sort of situation, I am keeping half an eye out for an intervention.  A wizened dwarf with a riddle.  A crone prepared to exchange three wishes for a good deed.  A talking tree.  (As any fool do.) 

Nothing.  But I do find a playing card on a tree stump.  A ten of clubs.  Pretty good for a completely deserted wood (no visible poker players or patience fans).  Obviously I know what happens next.  If I pick up the card - I'm in the game.  (It's a portal.  An invitation to dance from another world.)  But as always, there will be unforeseen consequences.  A wager that goes horribly wrong.  I will probably end up enslaved in the wood (bad). 

Or perhaps it's just cartomancy?  Maybe the ten of clubs predicts my fortune.  An internet search reveals that it's good news.  The ten of clubs is, apparently, a 'strong good luck card, with riches suddenly acquired.' 

Later today I go to the post depot to pick up an unexpected parcel that's been waiting for me.  I have been sent a Cadbury's Caramel Easter egg.  Yes!

This confirms my belief that the wood is a powerful place, full of augury and magic.  Going back there tomorrow, to see if I can share my lunch with a crone.

No comments:

Post a Comment