Thursday 16 February 2012

Day 103: Making a Stand

Today has been a day of standing,  I deliberately take the slow train, avoiding the pushy urgency of the fast one, and looking forward to a gentle rumble into St Pancras, with seat and book.  One stop in, and here's a woman with a 'Baby On Board' badge.  Goodbye, seat.  Hello, standing (which I could have done for half the time, if I'd got on the fast train...). 

Standing on the tube.  Then work that requires standing.  Seven and a half hours of it.  Talking and standing.  Then some more standing on the train going home.  All in all, I do nine hours of standing.   

So I am particularly impressed by the man I see on the Piccadilly line this evening.  No seats available - no problem.  He's brought his own bar stool with him, on which he sits.  Self-sufficient, in charge of his own comfort.  He's looking nonchalant, and unconcerned at the attention he's getting, but I then catch him having a sneaky smile at his reflection in the carriage window.  I don't believe he always travels with his trusty bar stool.  But I very much like that he's pretending he does. 

'Yeah.  Me and mah stool.  Mah wing man.'  (In my head, he's Texan.  I have no idea why.)

Home.  My brain is empty.  My feet are burning.  I will not be speaking or standing any more today.

Me and mah sofa.  Shhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment