Tuesday 7 February 2012

Day 94: Storytelling

The snow has thawed enough to allow tonight's Spark show to go ahead.  So I'm back at the Canal Cafe Theatre in Warwick Avenue - one of six people telling true stories around the theme of 'Unexpected'.  I'd forgotten how much I like this venue.  It's small and cosy, with red tables, twinkly tea lights and cabaret seating.  And a faint smell of mouse, spilled wine and upholstery dust.  Perfect for storytelling.  The stage lights are so bright I can't see the audience, but I can see my own retinal capillaries.  There's something relaxing about standing in bright white light, telling very personal true stories to a room of invisible but interested strangers.  It's a mellow buzz.  Cannabis to stand-up's cocaine.

I leave the warmth of the bar behind me - it's a icy clear night.  The streets are quiet and there's a misty  full moon high in the sky as I get in the car to drive home.  The radio comes on when I turn the ignition.  'Moondance' by Van Morrison.  Very appropriate.  As always, when I hear this I think of 'An American Werewolf in London'.  As I also do if I am ever on a lonely moor in the dark (rarely), in a locals-only country pub (occasionally) or in a quiet tube station (more likely). 

I was once at Charing Cross late at night, waiting for the last tube - and (weirdly) the only person on the platform - when I got spooked so badly that I felt I just had to get out.  Gut instinct.  I wouldn't normally pander to this sort of feeling.  I'd put it down to an overactive imagination and just get on with things.  But on this occasion I had such an overwhelming sense of misgiving, that I felt compelled to act on it.  So I legged it through the echoey deserted passageways and up the escalators, adrenalin coursing through my system, and my heart pounding.  Massive relief to be out of the station.

Caught a night bus home.  The sweet familiarity of vomit corsages, broken glass and flying chips.  Better the devil you know...          

No comments:

Post a Comment