Sunday 26 February 2012

Day 114: Adore and Endure

Morning spent mooching around Brick Lane.  Past the new industrial-chic Box Park, and the racks of stolen second-hand bikes, and up towards the Truman Brewery through the food market.  Smells amazing - smoky and sweet.  I am particularly taken with the 'Mr Spicy' jerk drum with its registered trademark.  Plagiarists, beware!

Great Eastern Street is wearing a provocative message.  'Let's ADORE and ENDURE each other'.  I once saw a Japanese girl on the tube wearing a jacket with an embroidered motto - 'Through Pride Onfidence' (sic). This slogan has a similar not-written-by-a-native-English-speaker vibe.  It feels odd.  My mind is tussling with it.  'Let's ADORE each other' - OK, if a bit gushy.  'Let's ENDURE each other' - OK, if a bit grim.  Together?  At the same time?  I can't make is work in my head.  Hmmm.  At least it's made me think about it.  Perhaps that's mission accomplished as far as the artist is concerned.

More art at Bermondsey White Cube.  Go in just to use the loo (a white cube, obvs).  But then stay to look at the Anselm Kiefer exhibition.  Post apocalyptic landscapes accessorised with dead flowers, bedraggled goth wings, decayed books, measuring scales and alchemical powders.  It's all VERY DARK.  I enjoy myself immensely playing Interpret The Art (adore). 

On leaving I pick up a leaflet telling me what it all actually means (endure).

Who is the boobiest of them all?
Once I get home, things take a dive towards the low brow.  I spot a magazine in the garage that's promises to reveal 'TV's Boobiest Babes!' 

(Tall, taller, tallest.  Booby, boobier, boobiest.  How booby are you?  Boobier than average?  Or perhaps the boobiest of them all?) 

This is the most hilarious use of language I've seen in ages.  It is also horrible.

Is it possible?  Am I adoring AND enduring at the SAME TIME?

So confusing that I've lost onfidence in myself.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment