Thursday 23 February 2012

Day 110: Pigeon vs Rat

In a quiet basement coffee shop, with windows looking out onto the dank well between buildings.  No-man's bin-land.  Pigeons and litter and moss-stained walls.  I'm with a friend, and we gradually become aware of a horrible squealing counterpoint to our conversation.  It grows more insistent.  We wonder whether it's a rat (in that wherever-you-are-in-London-there's-a-rat-in-your-pocket type way).  Suddenly I notice a correlation - every time the pigeon swoops down and disappears from sight, the squealing starts.  Disregarding public embarrassment, I leap to my feet, shouting 'PIGEON ON RAT!' and run to the window. 

As expected I see horrible scufflings in a dark corner, all wings and feet.  It looks bad.  But then the pigeon backs off, and I realise there is no rat.  But there IS a big fat pigeon toddler, shrieking for food.  Disappointing.

An internet search suggests that Pigeon vs Rat is not unusual.  And a pretty even match.  Rat: special weapon - big teeth; special power - aggression.  Pigeon: special weapon - beak; special power - flight.  It is interesting (if unpleasant) to note that a rat will actually attempt to eat a live pigeon given half a chance.  A pigeon will not attempt to eat a rat.  (Note: both parties prefer anything from Subway.)  

Today has been a day of potential drama NOT unfolding.  Go to Pret (not Subway - I'm not a pigeon/rat).  Huge overreaction from the guy on the till when I try to pay by card.  HE CANNOT TAKE CARDS AT THIS TILL!  I pay with cash (drama averted).  It starts to rain as I walk to the pitch meeting where I am meant to look presentable.  I HAVEN'T GOT AN UMBRELLA!  It stops raining (drama averted).        

There's a company based in Brooklyn called 'Rat vs Pigeon'.  They make messenger bags for cyclists, and their slogan reads 'Ride fast, take chances'.

What I thought might be a Rat vs Pigeon day turns out to be more Pigeon vs Pigeon Toddler.

'Ride slow, take sandwiches'.

No comments:

Post a Comment