Tuesday 7 February 2012

Day 95: Within Tent

My work today took me into an office slap-bang next to the St Paul's Occupy London camp.  Which is still very much there, and now features a couple of snow turtles (centre left of this picture, highlighted by the shaft of sunlight), in addition to the impressive array of tents.  But generally rather fewer activists.  Unsurprising, given the weather.  By the looks of things, rather less 'Occupy London' and rather more 'Occupy Starbucks'.  The squashy chairs in the nearby branch were all 'occupied' by dozing figures, huddled like baby mice in a nest.  And smelling similar.  A powerful message.

Apparently the tents have been scanned using thermal-imaging, and the results suggest that many people aren't sleeping in them at night (ad hoccupy).  Again, unsurprising. 

Today I have felt much like an un-occupied tent.  There in principle, if not in body.  I did not enjoy my work.  Sometimes it happens like that.  I came out feeling empty inside and slightly soiled outside.  Like an 'Occupy London' tent.  (Actually, make that empty AND slightly soiled inside).

Now I am home.  I will be Occupy-ing the sofa and then my bed.  It's a political statement.  I am against bad stuff.

And I am for archived episodes of Desert Island Discs, and Thai green curry.  With these we will change the world.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment