Sunday 11 December 2011

Day 37: Cake or Death?

This morning there was a festive charity run in St Albans, so the town has been full of sweaty Santas all day.  I particularly like the ones who decided to make the most of their visit with a bit of post-run shopping, and have obviously forgotten they're in costume, so are trailing around looking bored/eating Nando's/having arguments.  It's a grey day, and the splashes of red are very 'Don't Look Now'.

Imagine this.  A man with half a face (and an off-putting manner) delivers a box containing a button to your house, and tells you that if you press it, you will receive a million dollars, but someone (unknown to you) will die.  (Premise of 'The Box' - Richard Kelly, starring Cameron Diaz and James Marsden.)  Do you press the button?  NO.  Because firstly, you are not some half-faced man's tiny dancing puppet.  And secondly, you know (as any fool do) how this works - that this is morally wrong, and will come back at you in more ways than you can fathom.  Obviously, in the film Cameron does press the button, because she knows (as any fool do) that unless she does that, there will be no film.  (Actually, I really wish she hadn't, on those grounds). 

Perhaps it would be a lot easier, generally, if most life choices came with a button, and a really clear signpost (turn left for cash/chaos/pain; turn right for poverty/happiness/freedom).  Most of the time I've not even been aware there was a turning, or that I'd taken it.  On the odd occasion I've clearly been presented with two choices, the signpost is inevitably incomplete.  There'll be some useful facts, but the missing element will be the one thing I've not even considered.  That thing on which everything hinges.

Every time I've made bum choices, it's when I've made a so-called 'rational' decision - even though it felt wrong.  My error has been paying attention to the signposts (source - unreliable riddler types) and ignoring my gut instinct (source - me.  Whole face, no riddles). 

Anyway, I've already had a man present me with a button in a box (see Day Twenty).  I didn't press it.  Tick.          

No comments:

Post a Comment