Wednesday 14 December 2011

Day 40: Love - Forty

Forty days of blogging.  And also the anniversary of my accident.  The accident that almost killed me, and left me with a scar like a tennis ball seam on the left hand side of my head.  One minute, talking to a friend in a bar; the next, waking up with lights in my eyes, and surrounded by a medical team in masks and gowns.  A brain haemorrage, a fall, a skull fracture and a blood clot - in that order.  Two questions - 'Do you know who you are?' and 'Can you move your feet?'  And thanks to the brilliance of the National Neurological Hospital in Queen's Square, the answer to both was 'yes'.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  The debt that I owe you still moves me to tears. 

Today - a job in Gloucester. A long drive, with the temperature dropping all the way, and ominous skies.  On the way home, rain turns to sleet turns to snow.  Whirling blizzard.  The markings on the road disappear in a total white-out.  Makes for tense shoulders and dry eyes, but worth it for the fairytale scenery - Narnia in the Cotswold hills.  Park appallingly when I get home.  So badly that it makes me laugh.  Normally, I'd correct it.  Today I can't be bothered.  Very liberating.


I know who I am.  I can walk.  I know who I am.  I can walk.  I know who I am.  I can walk.

There are many days I take this for granted.  Not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment