Wednesday 19 September 2012

Day 303: End of Civilisation


The Wallace Collection cafe - the result of a search for somewhere different to drink coffee. 

High ceilings, leafy palm trees, clean and starchy waiters, and space.  It is civilised and interesting.

And completely appropriate.  The friend I am with is also civilised and interesting. 

I drift home afterwards, still feeling civilised (if not particularly interesting).  In the kitchen, I am rootling around in the back of a high cupboard, when a long-forgotten tub of cocoa powder chooses to leap off a shelf, making a bid for freedom.  It explodes on the work surface in a cloud of chocolatey dust, covering everything in sight.  Large-scale clean up operation is required.  As I pick things up, their negative images remain behind, silhouetted in cocoa.  The blast radius is considerable.  On the plus side, the kitchen smells nice. 

Later, in the bathroom, I catch sight of my reflection.  I am somewhere between this (left) and this (right). 

Interesting - yes.   Civilised?  No. 

No comments:

Post a Comment