Monday 3 September 2012

Day 285: Black Gold

This afternoon the plan is to go any buy some more work clothes.  It doesn't happen.  Instead I go to the forest and pillage the blackberry bushes.  I think others have been there before me, as initially it doesn't look promising. 

However, if you are prepared to brave the nettles and push yourself into the middle of a thicket (and I am), there is treasure to be had.  At a price.  I emerge triumphant but scratched and stung, with hands stained guiltily purple.  It is foraging, and free for all, but it still feels like scrumping.  I smuggle my box of blackberries in my bag, and hide my hands in my pockets from the searching eyes of dog walkers.  On one occasion, when caught RIGHT in a bramble bush by a elderly couple, I ridiculously hold the box behind my back, and stand as if this is the perfect place from which to admire the view.  Idiot. 

It is worth it.  I have spoils.  And I have also noted further plunder potential - sloes and hazelnuts.  Just need to deal with the guilt issues.  Or get some camouflage.

Camouflage.  Easier.       

No comments:

Post a Comment