Tuesday 11 September 2012

Day 296: Sevens and Eights

In which I finally buy some new work shoes.  (When I say finally, I mean almost.  They are on order, and will be arriving (allegedly) within a couple of days.) 

Fail
Impressed by the commitment that sees me go into two separate shoe shops.  In the first, I find a possibility (ie a shoe), and ask to try it on in a seven and a half.  The man comes back, dully holding a seven and an eight.  I try the seven.  It is too small.  I try the eight.  It is too large.  I am not surprised by either result.  BECAUSE I AM A SEVEN AND A HALF (hence initial request).   

Win
In the second shop I visit, there is a similar dearth in my size.  Here an assistant shows presence of mind, nimbly suggesting I try a seven and a half in a unpopuar colour (beige) - purely for size, and then I can order it in black.  This piece of sheer strategic brilliance secures a sale for her, and peace of mind/shoes for me.  It's a SHOE-IN.  (You're welcome.)

You can keep your sevens and your eights.  I need half measures.  But not in salesmanship.  Just in shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment