Monday 9 January 2012

Day 66: Lucky Quinoa

Crossing the Abbey orchard this morning, I was delighted to bump into a local artist (there are quite a few in St Albans).  I could tell he was a local artist because he was carrying paper, paints and a canvas roll of brushes.  But also because he looked identical to Charlie Higson's 'Fast Show' character - black fisherman's hat, beard, neckerchief.  Brilliant.

Mucked out a kitchen cupboard (graveyard) today.  I found some beans (not magic ones) that 'expired' in January 2007.  Also some vintage quinoa.  I don't ever eat quinoa - I just feel better with an out-of-date box in the cupboard.

Other antiques include some maple syrup (2005), a can of pear halves (2006) and two boxes of cocktail sticks - an interesting find.  There must have been TWO separate occasions when I planned a) a cheese and pineapple hedgehog or b) to cook tiny sausages.  But I obviously thought better of it both times, as the boxes are intact.  Intent is there, but no follow-through.  As with cocktail sticks, so with life plans.

The excitement of all this was so great that I dropped a 500g carton of black peppercorns.  That's a big carton.  About the size of one of those big pots of yoghurt or soup.  Full of peppercorns.  Ball bearings of darkness everywhere.

Obviously I've swept up a bit (I'm not an animal), but I quite like the crunchy aromatics underfoot.  The kitchen is now a local spice island.  Exotic.   

So - supper tonight will be maple-glazed bean mini-skewers with floor pollen, followed by poire solitaire. 

(No, I am not cooking the quinoa.  It's more useful as a talisman representing the triumph of optimism over experience.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment