Monday 14 November 2011

Day 10: Peak Manners

To Kew on the train, rattling along lazily in an off-peak manner.  The station still looks like one of those 1920s transport posters.  I don't know the crime stats, but I'm guessing they're pretty low (maybe someone stole an almond croissant back in 2006).  The National Archives are surprsingly located at the end of a residential street that is the epitome of everything that is solid and safe.  Generous red brick villas with well-maintained paint work.  Piano practice and crumpets; wisteria and coat stands.  Every front garden is lush and tended - Kew evidently takes its garden associations seriously.

I think I'm OK with the fact that I don't work at the National Archives.  Ya feel me? 

On the way home, I am approached by two Japanese women who need Tube map guidance.  There are language barriers.  We use multiple handsigns - I even employ the classic double thumbs up - and then I watch out for them, making sure they get on the correct train.  We smile; they bow.  I bow back; we wave.  We wave again as the train pulls away.  We smile broadly and wave until we can see each other no longer.  Kew has rubbed off on me.  I may be travelling in an off-peak manner, but  there's nothing off-peak about my actual manners.  I am the epitome of everything that is solid and safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment