Saturday 19 November 2011

Day 15: Fringe Report

At the hairdressers yesterday, I was very careful to ask for 'not much off the fringe'.  One wash later, and it's bounced up so high that I look permanently surprised* - and now uncannily like St Pancras (see Day Twelve).  Perhaps in writing the words 'brutal fringe trim', I unwittingly harnessed the Powers Of Manifestation.  (In which case - world peace, clean sheets and a new front fender.)

(* Of course, it may just be that every time I look in the mirror, I truly AM surprised by the shortness of my fringe.  I hope nobody has to take me seriously over the next couple of weeks.  Including me.)

A very constructive Saturday morning.  I finished and submitted my tax return AND went for a run.  Which makes it possibly one of the most constructive Saturday mornings of my life.  I should point out here that I have been off the booze for a week, and eating vegan food as an experiment.  So far, the results are interesting.  I'm sleeping much better and having more interesting dreams (and being more constructive on a Saturday morning).  On the negative side - vegan cake (oxymoron).  I like food far too much to continue this experiment for longer than two weeks - it's just too limited.  Will aim to stay off the booze a while longer, and to generally eat more vegetarian food.  But no more vegan cake.  Ever. 

St Albans has the most committed busker ever.  He's unbelievably old and frail-looking, but every Saturday he stands at the top of French Row, dressed in a matelot shirt and beret, and plays the accordion.  All weathers.  He's a local hero (so much so that a cursory internet search turns up this photo of him immediately).  Malcolm Gladwell suggests in The Tipping Point that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become excellent at something.  This dude has done way more than 10,000 hours - musical excellence is still elusive, but he's cracked it as far as commitment is concerned.  And constructive Saturday mornings.

Long may he continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment