Friday 18 November 2011

Day 14: Pigeon Thinking

Unexpected free day today.  Was meant to be going on a meditation weekend but that's been postponed, so the doors of my mind will remain shut for another two weeks.  Went for a long walk - trees, ducks, and, very enjoyably, a pigeon crossing a stream via stepping stones - seemingly baffled by the one gap that was too wide for pigeon-hopping capabilities.  A good three minutes of really hard pigeon thinking (I could almost see the single cog turning) resulted in defeat, and a slow hop back to the bank.  Dude, you can fly!  Come on!  (I sense a very banal life metaphor...). 

Back up Holywell Hill past one of my favourite houses.  It's unbelievably run-down - you can't tell from this picture, but all the paint has worn off the woodwork, and the porch is sagging, with a dirty great hole in its roof.  Someone lives there - you can see grubby curtains, and a standard lamp, and I really want to know who - but not enough to knock on the door, just in case reality disappoints.  (I fully expect Miss Havisham.)  I did an internet search, and the only name I could find associated with the house was a William Storey in 1871 - listed in the national census as actor/dancer/comedian/scene painter.  The nineteenth century version of actress/model/whatever.  I like to imagine him representing flamboyantly in the streets - a St Albanian Oscar Wilde, with a poppy or a lily in his hand. 

Talking of which, today I saw a sign for a Festive Vintage Fair promising 'Fabulous Stalls'.  In my mind, this means nothing less than stalls manned by the entire cast of 'Priscilla' - all feather boas, spangles and false eyelashes.  It's this Sunday, so I may just go along and report back.   

Went for a hair cut today.  It's the only time I ever read magazines.  Today I found an article about hair colour that started 'If vampires had babies, their hair would be this colour'.  (Ashy blonde, if you're interested).  Brilliant.  In so many ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment