Tuesday 15 November 2011

Day 11: Use The Force

This morning I slept late.  It's been so long since I did this, I've stopped setting an alarm.  But today - ten to eight.  I was still fuzzy with sleep as I walked to the station.  Awake enough to enjoy the business man, suited and booted, but wearing his heart in his hand - a metal brief case decorated front and back with the album artwork from 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'.  Thank you - I did enjoy the show. 

Everywhere is revving up for Christmas.  I'm not - I keep being shocked by baubles (as opposed to being Surprised By Joy...).  But other people are.  I saw someone carrying wrapped presents today.  In November.  Christmas this year reminds me of the time I was given a celeriac (how middle class).  A celeriac?  Some celeriac?  A bolus of celeriac?  Can't name it; can't cook it.  I looked at it a few times, suspiciously, and then shoved it somewhere I couldn't see it, as I didn't know what to do with it.  As with Christmas.  There are some things I love about it.  Carols - particularly the ones that have a pagan whiff of greenwood and golden sickle to them.  The silence of the streets when everyone has holed up and stopped rushing about.  Scrooge's second chance; George Bailey's angel.  And there's the stuff I don't.  Pretty much all of which involves shops.  This year I'm going to choose what I do. 

Today I saw twin suns.  Even more exciting than Chollocks (see Day Nine).  I was on the train and the sun (the proper, main one) was low in the sky.  The angle of the carriage window created a perfect reflection, so as I sat there it looked as if there were two suns - one to my right, and one to my left.  It felt like some sort of Japanese proverb, so I Googled 'twin suns' when I got home.  Overjoyed to find that it's a ancient Jedi sparring technique.  It requires 'great mastery in light saber combat, high attunement with The Force and precise timing' (source: Wookieepedia).  Clearly this is a sign.  Maybe I'm about to be called.  I'm ready.

I think I'm still half asleep.  Today has been a twilight world, suspended between reality and fiction.  It's been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment