Tuesday 4 December 2012

Day 372: Emperor Has New Clothes

To the cinema for 'End Of Watch'.  Solid buddy-cops-vs-Mexican-drugs-cartel action.  Having watched 'The Master' a couple of days ago, it is a sweet relief to see a film with understandable characters and a tangible storyline.

Difficult.  Exasperating. 
Film reviewers are throwing stars at "The Master" like confetti.  Don't get it.  Yes, the performances are impressive.  (To my mind, too impressive.  At all times there is a sense that the leads are Doing Very Powerful Acting.)  But that's not enough to make up for everything else - nebulous, opaque and long-winded.   I tried to love it but, despite best efforts, lost heart (along with any narrative thread) somewhere in the middle. 


Eyes,  and and ears, a mouth and a nose
Amongst critics there are some rare voices of dissent - the one that resonates most with me is Roger Ebert, writing for the Chicago Sun:

 'It is fabulously well-acted and crafted, but when I reach for it, my hand closes on air.'

Not so with 'End of Watch'.  Guns.  Blood.  Bodies.  Shouting.  Jake Gyllenhaal with his cartoon-big eyes and mouth.  Simple stuff. 

I think I've found my level (low). 

No comments:

Post a Comment