Monday 18 August 2014

Lord of the Ring

Today someone I know posts a video on Facebook.  Mobile phone footage that she'd taken of a Bey Dance workshop held in Edinburgh's Bristo Square, where members of the public were encouraged to join in and learn the moves of Beyonce's iconic routines. After the first few seconds, the framing closes in on a middle-aged man in a red t-shirt.  Dancing out of time, arms flying in contrary motion to the rest of the ensemble. The sniggers of the phone-wielder are the only commentary, as she invites us to join with her in laughing at this sad sap.

Except that's not how I feel. At all. I think this man is EPIC. He's lost in the moment, giving it his all, a single
lady right here and right now. I am angry that someone feels it was appropriate to film and share this footage. Observing but not participating. How many people would see this and think twice before running the risk of stranger-ridicule? Another step towards bull-shitty self-consciousness.

Hooray for this man. Long may we all dance badly and in public without a care. I like it. I put a ring on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment