Thursday 10 April 2014

Numan Intersection


I must face the sad fact that the season for Brussels sprouts is coming to an end.  Last night's candidates were sorry specimens, starting to yellow and soften.  I have late-onset enthusiasm for sprouts, having scorned them for years.  Hence the zeal - making up for lost time.

Over the weekend I watched a documentary about Gary Numan, 1980s electro-robot.  Like sprouts, he has never appealed to me.  Easy to dismiss and ridicule in his tin-foil and eyeliner.

I have changed my position.  I'd failed to understand how radically he influenced music.  I'd disregarded how heavily he's been sampled and covered.  And how fresh his old tracks still sound. Not softened, not yellowing.

There's a Venn within all of this.  You work it out.  I'm not going to spoon-feed you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment