Monday 6 October 2014

Street Fighting Man

Something happened on Saturday that is still giving me pleasure. I am turning it over in my mind, and admiring it from every angle. I was walking home from town, past the back of the multi-storey car  park when I stumbled across a bit of argybargy.  The air was full of the odd nervy energy that a heated exchange between strangers generates. A stationary car was blocking the traffic, and the driver was standing in the road, all veiny and tense, shouting at a man on the pavement, who was doing his best to shrink into a laurel hedge. His hand-knitted jumper, beard and glasses proclaimed him as probably not the fighty sort. Pretty easy to guess the rough details of what had happened. I reckon Beardy-Knit had been trying to cross the road, and Blood Vessel, frustrated and tail-gating to get into the car park, had not let him across. The one thing that is definite is that BK called BV a wanker. BV wasn't happy about this, and for a few moments things looked like they would escalate. But BV had second thoughts, and turned to get back into his car. But he wasn't leaving without the last word. His final flourish?

'If my wife wasn't with me, I'd come over there and show you what a wanker REALLY is!'

I don't think he'd thought it through...

(No images for this entry. Use your imagination.)

1 comment:

  1. You've still got it. Loving this post, loving your style.
    x

    ReplyDelete