Monday 17 February 2014

Running In - Please Pass

Imagine with beard + overalls
Last week my car became due for its first proper service.  Not one of the silly intermittent one - which seems to be little more than an oil change and a flannel swiped round the privates.  For these I've been taking it to the dealership, in a scaredy-cat-not-wanting-to-risk-the-warranty's-validity way.  It's now out of warranty, but the dealership contacted me, so I asked for a quote anyway.

When they told me the price, I laughed, and then retched, and then laughed again.  Then I rang the local garage up the road.  I told the chief mechanic what the dealership had quoted me and he laughed drily.  'They would, wouldn't they?' he dead-panned, like a bearded Mandy Rice-Davies.

And with that, I woke from my dealership enchantment, slashed my way out of the forest of complimentary key fobs and showroom Nespresso, and came to my senses.  Back where I belong, in the garage up the road, where nobody raises an eyebrow at the tooth I've lost from my front grille, or the scuffs on my wheel arches.  Was going to get these fixed, but quite frankly they're the only thing that stops my car looking like Noddy's runaround.  Know who you are.  Know where you belong.

Anyway, I'm back.  And the title of this post is not actually about my car, but more about this blog.  I've been SORN for a long time - there's rust on my brake discs, corrosion on my exhaust system and a great deal of bird shit on my bonnet.

Nothing that a road trip and a flannel can't sort.

Good to be back.

6 comments:

  1. Great to have you back, we've been catching up on your older laugh-out-loud posts and really enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucinda - that's very kind. I really appreciate the encouragement. Hope all is good with you.

      Delete
  2. Hi, it's Bella here (the one with the hats) I'm so happy you have continued your blog - my mum and I have been reading all your old posts and loving them but we were running out of your funny posts to read!

    I thought this was a fantastic post to start your blog up again! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bella - great to hear from you! Thanks for being so lovely about my blog. Very glad you've been enjoying the old posts - I'll be adding some new ones this weekend. Strap in!

      Delete
  3. just fabulous!!! i have found you via Bella's blog as she is following you (the clever girl!)
    More please!
    Erminia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erminia! How very kind you are. More to come this weekend! Keep me posted with your blog developments.

      Delete